Deliciously crispy on the outside and super fluffy on the inside, these ridged smashed potatoes satisfy the soul like a fresh plate of french fries; just in a completely different look! For that amazing crunch and exciting texture, don't forget to squash the potatoes down neat and flat.
Although best served fresh, you can store the potatoes, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To reheat, just bake them in the oven at 220°C until warmed all the way through.
- 500 grams of small Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon plus ¼ teaspoon of fine sea salt, divided
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons of chopped Spring Onion greens
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of Boombay's Sweet Mustard Dip & Spread (as per the size of potatoes)
- Scrub the potatoes clean and rinse under running water.
- Remove and discard any nubby sprouting areas before placing the potatoes in a large pot.
- Fill the pot with water until the potatoes are submerged and covered by 1 inch of additional water.
- Add 1 tablespoon of salt and bring the pot to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Continue cooking until the potatoes are easy to pierce through with a fork.
- While the potatoes cook, preheat the oven to 180°C and evenly brush 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over a large, rimmed baking sheet.
- When ready, drain the potatoes in a large colander and let them cool for about 5 minutes so they can be handled safely.
- Evenly distribute the potatoes over the baking sheet and use a potato masher or a serving fork to gently smash each potato to a height of about ½ inch (the thinner they look, the crispier they cook).
- Drizzle the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil over the smashed potatoes and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes until the edges are nice and golden.
- Dollop the potatoes with our Sweet Mustard Dip & Spread and serve hot with a sprinkle of some chopped spring onions on top.