Little, sweet gems of goodness from the buzzing city of Madras, ‘silverskin’ onions or Madras onions are pickled white onions treasured for their imperfections. Also a key ingredient in the Gibson Martini, these juicy delights are saved in a solution of vinegar and salt, flavorings and other preservatives. We elevate this South Indian flavor bomb with a balsamic vinaigrette twist of our own.
Store the pickle in sterilized jars to ensure it is well preserved. To sterilize, run the jar through the dishwasher, or thoroughly wash in hot soapy water, rinse, and then leave to dry and cool down in a low oven before filling it with the pickle.
- 3 tablespoons of Bombay’s Balsamic + Black Pepper Dressing
- 10 pieces of Madras Onion
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 1 teaspoon of Sugar
- 1 clean jar that holds about 250 millilitres
- Peel the onions and cut the larger ones in half
- Sprinkle salt over the onions, cover and leave overnight
- Pour our Balsamic + Black Pepper Dressing into a saucepan and add 100 millilitres of water
- Stir in the sugar and heat until it has dissolved to a simmering liquid
- Rinse the onions and drain well
- Arrange the onions in a jar and cover them with hot pickling liquid before sealing with lid
- When cool, refrigerate the for at least 3 to 4 days or ideally 1 week and enjoy