A delicious side that has been a part of Japanese food culture since the 1500s. Traditionally made during the spring rice planting season, "Dengaku" in Nasu Dengaku refers to the festive celebrations that accompany the spring rice planting season. Rub the aubergines with our 100% plant-based, Miso + Ginger Stir Fry Sauce to elevate the savoury and smoky flavours in your Nasu Dengaku.
- Pan-fry the aubergine halves for a few minutes, long enough to see a good layer of colour. Be careful not to overdo it and turn it into mush.
- Score the eggplant by cutting its flesh in a criss-cross pattern – without tearing the outer skin.
- 2 tablespoons of Boombay’s Miso + Ginger Stir Fry Sauce
- 1 small to medium Aubergine
- 50 grams of Edamame
- 50 grams of your favourite Rice
- 1 tablespoon of Sesame Oil
- ½ tbsp of Soy Sauce (Tamari for gluten-free)
- Coriander to garnish
- Salt to taste
- Cut the aubergine into half and make a crisscross pattern on it
- Wash the rice and set it aside
- Boil or steam the edamame and de-shell them
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Place the aubergine in a tray and bake it with the flesh side up until it slightly softens
- Rub our Miso + Ginger Stir Fry Sauce on the flesh of aubergine and bake until it softens completely
- Add rice to the pan along with double the quantity of water and salt to taste
- Lower the heat and cook until the rice is done
- Add edamame to the rice and serve it in a bowl along with aubergine on top
- Drizzle all the pan juices on the rice for extra flavour
Top the dish with chopped coriander for more flavour